Full Stack Engineer
Couchsurfing is the world’s premier social travel platform, with over 12 million members in nearly every country in the world. Couchsurfing changes people’s lives. Hearing the stories of Couchsurfers whose lives have been transformed by travel is the greatest reward for doing what we do. Join us and every day thousands of people from every country in the world will meet in person and embark on new adventures as a direct result of your work.
We are a small, nimble and hyper-focused team who are building the next generation of this powerful service, with a strong focus on mobile. Our platforms include web, ios, and android, and our mobile audience is growing rapidly. If you’re interesting in making a big impact at a small company with a passionate and large user base and growing revenue streams, then you’ll like it here.
Experience and skills we’re interested in
- At least two years working on consumer websites using Rails in a team environment
- An understanding and passion for using proven testing practices to improve software quality and reduce risk
- SQL proficiency, either on MySQL or Postgres
- Believer in data driven decision making and a predisposition to leveraging existing systems instead of rolling your own
- Experienced in lean, agile development practices
- Building APIs for mobile and/or web a plus
- Experience with SOLR or Elasticsearch a huge plus
A bit about you
- A track record for learning new skills and being able to contribute with them quickly
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and the ability to take constructive feedback well
- A talent for simplifying, and passion for great design
- Passion for travel a plus!
Culture and perks
- Awecome co-workers who care about building a great service and each other
- We work hard and play hard - you have freedom to get the job done, but must deliver results.
- Tasry and healthy group lunch from our own chef
- Competitve salary and benefits
- Ping-pong where walls, ceiling, and floor are in play
- Staff in the Wild program where each month we send an employee to go Couchsurfing somewhere in the world.